Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Black and White Tale


It's rainy, windy, sleeting, cold.  Oliver wanted to curl up with a good book, so he chose Ann Fahl's new one, A Black and White Tale. 

He didn't want another "how-to" book on quilting, because for him, that train has left the station.  Instead he wanted whimsy, delightful adventures, quilts yes, and not too much reading time, a simple poetic journey, something to slowly browse, and ooh and ah over the quilts. 


But, most importantly, he wanted a book about a cat!  Maybe a black and white cat named Oreo who lives near us, with fellow quilter Ann Fahl and who is the subject of many of her glorious quilts. 

Whether it's birds, flowers, cranes, things in her house, watching the night sky, having tea or a power breakfast for quilters (oatmeal!), Oreo has many delightful adventures that Oliver loved reading about.  He even seemed to catch her mysterious and exotic scent on the edges of the book...... oh my!


He sighed when he finished, looked at me and purred in contentment.  He definitely has given his "paw of approval" for this charming book, perfect for quilters or non-quilters, for animal lovers, especially cat lovers.  He thinks Grandmothers would love to read this to children.  It combines quilts and cats and some lovely verse.  It would be a perfect gift, or something special to keep and look through from time to time, just for yourself.

If you want a copy of your own, go to Ann's website to order:  www.annfahl.com

If you are going to the AQS Show at Paducah coming up at the end of April, this book will be available at two vendors, Artfabric and Quilting Books Unlimited.  Caryl Bryer Fallert will also have copies for sale at her Bryerpatch Studio store, plus some of the book's quilts on display.  It's very near the expo center, and if you've never strolled over, take the time to do so.  It's amazing!  Tell her I said hi. 

Hope the weather clears soon, and the birds are chirping again, with spring just around the corner.  Oliver is sleeping again, but he had a great evening with his book.

Keep quilting!  Your work gets better every day,
Diane

7 comments:

annieQ said...

Oliver,
Gee, don't you just hate it when these quilters take pictures of you? That flash is awful it makes me see spots. However, it's good to know that you and other cats are reading Ann and Jacquie's book. I love the part where I sit in the tree! I hope you are staying warm in all this spring snow.
Love,
Oreo

Diane Gaudynski said...

Oreo, My mom doesn't use flash!! She has very sensitive eyes herself, so she is quite understanding. I liked Jacquie's poetry too, but you had all the fun in all those quilts, Oliver

antique quilter said...

what a cute post! OH I have a friend that would love this book
thanks for telling us about it! thanks Oliver it must be good if you gave it your paw of approval!!!!
Kathie

Patchmaker said...

Oreo is cute, but Oliver's a real sweetie!

Linda said...

I love it all, even down into the first two comments here! I found myself reading it in my "teacher voice"! I'll have to check on getting a copy for myself!!

Diane Gaudynski said...

I do believe Oliver and Oreo are having some sort of long-distance relationship! And he is much younger too, hmmm.....

Cassy said...

The cute cat added beauty to the picture.

Cassy from Best Online Guitar Lessons